Child psychologists believe that reading is one of the best
habits that should be encouraged in children. Ninety percent of
the things we learn during our lifetime come through books;
therefore if we can't read, we can't learn.
Books appeared long ago. At first they were written by hand, but
after printing was invented, it became easier to publish books.
There are two large groups of books: fiction and non-fiction
books. Fiction books are most popular with readers and include
short stories and novels of different genres and poetry.
Non-fiction books are dictionaries, reference books, historical
books, biographies, encyclopaedias and others.
In my childhood, my mother read different books to me and that
helped me to love reading. When I learnt to read, I was really
happy because I could read books which I wanted and liked. At
first, they were fairy tales, adventure stories and comics.
Later, I was fond of detective stories and thrillers. Now I read
historical novels and I realise that I do not know many things
from history and it is so wonderful that I can learn them now
and understand facts that I could not understand in my
childhood. During my studies I also use non-fiction books like
dictionaries and encyclopaedias to find necessary information.
Today television and the Internet have almost replaced books
because these resources provide any information one wants and
some people think that in the modern world we do not need books
at all. I think, however, that books will never disappear,
because reading gives us pleasure.
Modern technologies also made it possible for us to use
electronic readers instead of paper copies of books. On the one
hand, such readers are very convenient as you do not have to
carry a thick book in your bag: you just take the reader and
upload text files into it, so instead of several books you just
carry one light electronic device! In addition, you may also
keep pictures and even music files on it. Lastly, it is more
environmentally friendly to use an electronic reader - cutting
down trees is not needed for their development unlike the
process of producing paper copies.
However, everything has its disadvantages. To begin with, such
readers are rather expensive and not everyone can afford them.
One point against it is that free electronic texts to download
are hard to find. Finally, paper books are more pleasant to hold
in hands: touch their pages, turn them over, feel their smell. I
have an electronic reader and it is convenient, but I still read
paper copies of books too.
To sum up, it is impossible to live without reading and even if
paper books may disappear in the future, people will never stop
1. Вступление (the importance of reading, if we can't read,
we can't learn, etc.).
2. Рассказать кратко об истории книгопечатания и двух группах
книг (appeared long ago, were written by hand, printing was
invented, two large groups, fiction: short stories and novels of
different genres and poetry; non-fiction: dictionaries,
reference books, historical books, biographies, encyclopaedias).
3. Рассказать о том, что вы читали в детстве, какие книги
предпочитаете читать сейчас (In my childhood, fairy
tales/adventure stories, etc.; Now I read...; During my studies
I also use...).
4. Рассказать о чтении и книгах в современном мире и современных
технологиях (television and the Internet, do not need books at
all, modern technologies, electronic readers: advantages and
5. Заключение (То sum up, it is impossible to live without
reading and even if paper books may disappear in the future,
people will never stop reading.).
1. Do you read much?
2. What sort of books do you read?
3. Do you enjoy reading?
4. Should children be encouraged to read?
5. What are the advantages of reading? Are there any
disadvantages? What are they?
6. Is it good to get the reading habit?
7. Do you read in English or in your own language?
8. Does reading help to learn a language?
9. When do you usually read?
10. Do you read newspapers?
11. Do you read magazines or journals?
12. What books do you usually use to get ready for your classes?
13. Do you think people should read more?
14. What will happen if we don't read?
15. When should we start reading?
16. Do you think that people don't read so much because they are
busy watching television or surfing the Internet?
17. What would you do to encourage people to read? Is it
difficult to encourage yourself to read? Why (not)?
18. What was your favourite book in your childhood? What is your
favourite book now?
19. What is your favourite genre of books?
20. Do you read electronic books or prefer paper copies of
21. What are the advantages and disadvantages of electronic
22. Do you think that books may disappear in the future? Why
23. Where do you usually buy books?
24. Do you borrow books from a library or do you buy them?
25. Do you think that libraries may disappear in the future? Why
USEFUL WORDS AND PHRASES
Fiction Художественная литература
action and adventure боевики и приключения
children's книги для детей
contemporary современная проза
graphic novels/comics комиксы
historical fiction исторический роман
humour юмористическая проза
mystery детективный роман
romance любовный роман
science fiction научная фантастика
short story collection . сборник рассказов
young adult литература для подростков
Non-Fiction Научно-популярная литература
art & photography книги по искусству
biography & memoirs биография/мемуары
blueprint план, чертёж
booklet буклет, брошюра
business & finance бизнес и финансы
cookbook кулинарная книга
gift books подарочные издания
guide гид, путеводитель
handbook справочник, руководство
history книги по истории
manual руководство пользователя
medical health & fitness медицина и фитнес
nature & ecology природа и экология
periodical периодические издания
pets о домашних животных
picture book словарь в картинках
self-help книги «помоги себе сам»
travel книги о путешествиях